Monday, August 25, 2008

Our Cadaver

Today my group finished our part of dissection for the first test; the next week of anatomy labs will be like a vacation!  We get to "observe", which means "study" for our two-hour lab period.  They have to start on the neck, which is really hard (because there are a lot of important structures crammed into such a small space).  Four of us would work on the back at the same time, but only one - two people can work on the neck at one time.
 
Our cadaver was an 80 year old woman who died of sepsis (that's an infection of the blood - if you watched The Sopranos you know that Tony had sepsis, but lived).  She was thin and had some huge lower back muscles (longissimus thoracis and multifidus muscles).  Don't feel bad if you can't pronounce those words; I can't pronounce half of the structures they give us; they tell us not to worry about pronunciation - that doesn't get us extra points.  All total, there are 11 cadavers for us to dissect and two that are already dissected (for us to use as a reference) - they smell really bad.  We have to be able to identify the structures on any cadaver, x-ray, MRI, skeleton, ect. 
 
My meal schedule has been very irregular since school started.  I eat whenever I have time, so sometimes I don't notice that I haven't eaten for a while until I get really hungry.  Apparently I'm not the only one...my whole dissecting group was famished during our dissection, and we wondered if there was something wrong with that...
 
Jen

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think something in the preservative makes you hungry. Unfortunately, it will be a recurring theme of the year.

Dori said...

A little vicks under the nose will help with that lovely cadaver smell.

Dori said...

And it's kind of creepy to think that dead people make you hungry...