Friday, October 17, 2008

Trust Me, I'm Not a Doctor

We got a lecture today about our performance on the diagnostic imaging test...apparently it was as bad as we all thought (we don't have our scores yet).  Our prof said that we obviously don't know where the pancreas is...that the head is near the duodenum (first part of the small intestine) and the tail is near the hilum of the spleen (where the arteries/veins enter the spleen).  The good news is that I got both of those questions right.  We did not cover that in DI, but we just dissected it in anatomy - I'm not sure how most of the class missed it...  He went on to say that they (the professors) have failed us, and that he is sorry...it made me feel like crap...and I don't even know if I failed. 
 
In anatomy lab, we're dissecting the pelvis.  My group is observing (the other half of the class is dissecting - we take turns), but it is still an unpleasant area to work on.  The next test is in 2 weeks, and we have almost 700 structures to learn for lab, plus lecture.  I can't even think about that now...
 
We're covering nutrition in depth in biochem, so that's really interesting (even for two straight hours).  Unfortunately, it isn't on this test.  Our current prof does his research in nutrition, so he is reporting the results of lots of "fancy" studies from "fancy" med schools (Harvard, Stanford...).  Apparently, Harvard is on the cutting edge of nutrition.  So, I feel like I need to lecture you all about eating enough Omega 3 fatty acids...  Eat lots of fish (as long as it wasn't corn-fed), walnuts, flax seeds, free-range or Eggland's Best eggs, or take supplements...it helps control cholesterol and it's anti-inflammatory.  You don't need to know what that means (trust me, or ask Brett - the details are boring, unless you're a science geek), just that Harvard (and lots of other smart people) think that's what you should be doing...
 
Time to study more biochem...
 
Jen

No comments: