Sunday, September 21, 2008

What Happens When...

You take a bunch of type A people, put them in a high stress environment (higher than normal), and expect them to perform in ways that seem impossible?  You create a very emotional environment...and med school is born...  It's only been a month, but it is normal (and perfectly okay) to cry at school.  It doesn't matter if you're in the middle of class (just don't disrupt the lecture), or in between classes (hey, we're type A; we can have a total break down, and be ready for the next class in 10 minutes).  I felt like crying right before the first histo test... 
 
We've already had one classmate quit (he would've made a great doctor), and many others have seriously considered quitting.  They encourage us to support each other, because (no matter what your situation, or how you're doing so far) we all understand how this can break a person.  Everyone knows that med school is hard...but it is much harder than I expected.  No worries...that's normal, too.  I try to remind myself that they are very careful in the selection process - meaning that if they accept you, they know you can do it (some days that actually makes me feel better).  Now it's up to each of us to finish.
 
I don't even feel like a med student yet, but I do feel like I've been here a while...
 
Jen

2 comments:

Punkydoodle Papers said...

Girl we love you and we KNOW you can do it! I can't imagine the individual pressure, but I do know how Brett feels if that's any consolation! Keep your chin up and keep a box of Kleenex in your locker! :)

Hugs!

Dori said...

If anyone can do it, you can...